Ethylene glycol toxicosis is a type of poisoning that occurs in dogs after ingestion of antifreeze or other fluids containing the ingredient ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol itself is not toxic, but it is metabolized in the animal's body to several extremely toxic chemicals that are responsible for its potentially lethal effects.
Dogs may be attracted to ethylene glycol by its sweet taste. Many animals will voluntarily drink ethylene glycol if antifreeze is spilled or leaks onto garage floors or driveways. Ethylene glycol has a very narrow margin of safety – which means only a tiny amount can result in severe poisoning.
Symptoms Of Ethylene Glycol Toxicity In Dogs Lethargy. Vomiting. Loss of coordination. Excessive thirst and urination. Hypothermia. Rapid eye movements. Muscle twitches. Head tremors. Decreased reflexes. Seizures.
Dogs treated up to 36 hours following ingestion of ethylene glycol—may benefit from prevention of the body's chemical processing (metabolizing) of any remaining ethylene glycol If a large quantity of ethylene glycol is ingested, prognosis is poor, unless treated within 4 hours of ingestion
All animals are susceptible to ethylene glycol (EG) toxicity, but it is most common in dogs and cats. Most intoxications are associated with ingestion of antifreeze, which is typically 95% EG. These 95% commercial antifreeze preparations are diluted ~50% with water when used in vehicle cooling systems.
Copyright © 2019. Richest Group All rights reserved.